Sunday, January 7, 2007

How to wear the pump

How to wear the pump: A Day in the Life

1. Hook the pump onto your pants, shorts, or skirt. I even hook it onto my pajamas. When I wear a belt, the pump doesn't get in the way as much because of the belt clip. I didn't take a picture of it on the belt, but you can "get the picture".
2. With a pump cover. I love this black leather cover. It has a hole for the belt clip to slip through and velcos over the front. It has clear plastic through which I can dial the setting buttons easily, and see though well. I have a few other covers, but I rarely use them.
3. To wear the pump inside your pocket, first you have to take off the belt clip, so it's not as bulky.
slip inside pocket
inside the pocket


4. The pump can also be worn when you are wearing a dress, but it is more of a pain. I used to wear it inside the front of my bra, but if the top is tighter, it looks like a strange bulge. So, I've started wearing it inside my pantyhose without the belt clip. They make fancy leg straps and stuff but I've never bought one. Usually, I'll just wear a skirt because it is much easier with the pump.

5. When you go in the water, you have to take the pump off. Like for bathing or swimming. Usually I just stay in the water a short amount of time so I'm not "disconnected" for very long.

It may seem cumbersome, but I've had the pump for almost 5 years now, so it's really no big deal and most of the time I don't even notice it, and it doesn't bother me. A lot of people worry that they'll have a "badge" telling the world they have diabetes when they choose to wear the pump. I don't mind. Most people don't notice it. Others are ignorant and don't know what it is. Those who do know what the pump is usually strike up a conversation with me, "so, how long have you had diabetes?" And I love talking with diabetics and their families. I'm not ashamed of my disease and I could talk about it (as you can see) forever. Maybe someday I'll become an educator- diabetes educator that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment