Last night I changed my pump site; took out the old one, and put in a new one. When I put in the site it hurt a little but it felt like an okay site. This was at about 10pm. At 1:30am I got up and went to the bathroom. I was hot so I took off one layer. I felt sick to my stomach and worried I'd gotten sick from one my three students who went home sick on Tuesday. At 5:00am I got up and went to the batrhoom again. This time I was less groggy and thought about testing my blood sugar. I did and it was 375. I bolused 8.8 units.
At 6:15am when Colin got up I had him bring me my meter and checked again, this time it was 490. I took an injection of 15 units and stayed in bed until 6:30. I decided to get into the shower and thought about testing my keytones. I did and they read out at the highest level. By this time I was feeling really sick and decided to call in a substitute. I called the sub line, wrote my lesson plans, called the secretary, emailed in my lesson plans, called the baby sitter, then called Colin to let everyone know I wasn't going to work.
I called the answering service of Dr. Day and she put me through to him. I told him the story. His advice was to drink lots of fluids, try to get the sugar down in the next three hours. He said that if there was vomiting that I should go to the ER for fluids, and to call him if things weren't going well in three hours.
By 9 am my sugar was still at 450 and I spoke with the nurse about correct dosing when keytones are present. By 10 am my sugar was still 454. I took another injectoin of 17 units and things finally started turning around. At 11:00 am I was down to 268. 11:30 no keytones and 168. I ate lunch and took a nap.
When I woke up my sugar was 96- finally back to normal. By 2pm I had a low-62. I figured that this would happen because of all the insulin that was in my system.
I feel a lot better and am glad that my sugars are back under control again.